Saturday, June 7, 2008

Blue Man Group

Busy day today. First we biked on the Millennium Trail, and just before I hit 1000 miles for the year, I sustained a flat tire. Maybe tomorrow I can hit the mark.

Then it was into Chicago for the fabulous Blue Man Group show. I'd seen them over 14 years ago but Ellen hadn't experienced the show yet. She loved it, of course. For any others unfamiliar with their performance, here's a snippet from their web site:

"This multi-sensory experience featuring three enigmatic bald and blue characters combines theatre, percussive music, art, science and vaudeville to create a completely unique form of entertainment."

But, they forgot to emphasize non-stop comedy in the blurb. And driving rhythm. And professional musicianship. And the unexpected. And audience involvement. And you might get wet.



Oh yeah -- I left the hall with blue paint on my face. Our seats were center section, row 4, and I was on the aisle. The first five rows are supplied rain ponchos because stuff flies off the stage. One bit has them in the audience with a camera on a hose-like cable, and said hose found its way into my extra-large mouth, exposing my tonsils and more to the entire audience via live large-screen projection on the stage. The Blue Man was gently carressing my face during the "telecast" and as I watched myself on the screen, I noticed blue paint appearing on both cheeks, my expansive forehead, and my nose. It was a blast! Here are some links to the Blue Men:

Blue Man Group website

Wikipedia page

YouTube videos of Blue Man Group

Thanks again to Steve and Kasia whose generous gift to us helped subsidize the show!

On the way home, we stopped at the always spectacular Millrose Restaurant in South Barrington for a truly gourmet meal. I had an extraordinary nut-crusted rack of lamb with mint flavoring, and Ellen enjoyed sensational tilapia with crab, cheese, and red pepper sauce. Well, truth be told, we both enjoyed both main courses since we shared!

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

You know, I've been wondering what you did about flat tires. I imagined, tho, that you carried air pump thingees with you.