Friday, June 6, 2008

Deer Grove hike

The 87 degree heat, the 30+ mph wind, and the threat of more rain, helped us decide to hike today instead of bike -- cross training, in other words! It also gave me the opportunity to start breaking in my new Merrill Goretex light hiking shoes so they and my feet will be friends by our trip in August. Here are Ellen and Marlene clowning for the camera...




Yet another superior breakfast at Walker's followed, as well as a few errands in Lake Zurich before heading home.

Today is the last day of classes for Fremd High School, and thus ends my 7th year of retirement. The old joke is right -- time does speed along faster when you're on the "downhill" side of life! I must admit that no day of retirement has ever found me lacking for something to do or bored and unhappy. New adventures always await, though sometimes you have to be creative (and/or brave) to search them out. I recently encountered this quote from A. Sachs: "Death is more universal than life; everyone dies, but not everyone lives." So get out there -- do stuff, try new stuff, experience new stuff -- and live!

No comments: