Saturday, June 21, 2008

Random Facts #14

1. The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after only 38 minutes.
2. The largest cell in the human body is the female reproductive cell, the ovum. The smallest is the male sperm.
3. In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.
4. The pupil of an eye expands as much as 45% when a person looks at something pleasing.
5. An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
6. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up to the sky.
7. A polar bear's skin is black, its fur is not white but actually clear.
8. You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
9. The average human body contains enough fat to make seven bars of soap.
10. You are more likely to get attacked by a cow than a shark.*

*This is true in my life. I've never been attacked by a shark, but I was threatened by a bull once while mountain biking in Arizona's White Mountains in an area that had open range grazing.

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

I don't think I needed to know that, in the course of an average lifetime, I will (while sleeping) eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.

And to think that you had the unmitigated GALL to post such a "fact" on my birthday!! :)